[Aroid-l] RE: DNA of P. "Santa Leopoldina"--no way!

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] RE: DNA of P. "Santa Leopoldina"--no way!
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:58:06 +0000

Dear Tom,

I don`t believe that you have been following in detail the long-winded discussion of the use (and missuse!!) of the COMPLETELY useless name, Philodendron "Santa Leopoldina' which was and is being bantered about and added on to, or in some cases in place of, the correct scientific name for ONE of the plants it has been associated with, namely Philodendron spiritus-sancti. I believe that what Eduardo is saying, tongue-in-cheek, is that one can NOT extract DNA or identify a 'horticultural legend' (Philodendron "Santa Leopoldina"), root-tip, leaf or otherwise, as today no one knows what this plant was or is!
People, PLEASE---DROP this name!!
However, I am certain that Eduardo will be sucessful with extracting the DNA from the scientifically described and easily identified plant he is working with, namely Philodendron spiritus-sancti.

The Best,

Dear Eduardo:

	What do you mean you can't take a DNA sample of Kautsky's plant?
Does one have to use leaves for DNA?  Could one not simply collect a
root tip to get DNA?

Tom Croat, P. A. Schulze Curator of Botany
Missouri Botanical Garden
Box 299, St. Louis, Missouri 63116
(314) 577-5163
Please send images to our FTP Server.