RE: [Aroid-l] Letter from Leland Miyano

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Letter from Leland Miyano
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 04:19:39 +0000

From : 	Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest <steve@exoticrainforest.com>
Sent : 	Saturday, March 3, 2007 11:36 PM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Letter from Leland Miyano

Attachment :  	Leland.gif (0.44 MB)

Dear Leyland, Steve, and IAS members,

First off, the attachment came into my computer as a smaller than usual attachment, so I had problems reading the too-small text, and with my computer 'ignorance' I was unable to enlarge it. Hopefully others were not as unlucky? I support Leyland`s well-intentioned sentiments fully. The ball will be in the Brazilian`s court, as the laws in Brazil have to date almost shut down any foreign involvement in any joint scientific effort involving any non-Brazilian, and last I heard prohibits the transport of ANY plant material out of Brazil, be it dried herbarium specimens, cuttings or even seeds. I do not know if a permit of any kind can be obtained, perhaps we can enquire if this is even possible. This situation certainly does NOT encourage any non-Brazilian to spend funds collecting or working in Brazil on any type of project, even in coperation with a Brazilian student, scientiest or group! This is regretable, and we can only HOPE that in time (hopefully sooner than later) that this situation may be changed by the efforts of the Brazilian aroid community who, I am led to believe, are working toward that end. Perhaps Eduardo can keep us up to date on any changes that might be on track towards this goal. To keep the folks who are interested in efforts being made to propagate this wonderful, rare species, last year three of the cultivated plants bloomed in the S. Florida area, one of the experienced growers held all three in an attempt to collect pollen and hand-pollinate at least one bloom and produce seed, but no pollen was observed on any of the several blooms produced. This may be an indication that the conditions or temperatures in S. Miami may not be good enough or near enough to whatever the optimal temperatures might be in the plants native habitat. Once more our plans to increase the numbers of these plants were thwarted. We can only keep trying!

The best to all,

I received this letter addressed to Julius from Leland Miyano in Hawaii. I scanned the letter in order to send it to the group. Leland worked directly with Roberto Burle Marx in Brazil. He has asked me to send it to Aroid l. Leland is not a big fan of computers. If you choose to respond, please do so directly to Aroid l as Leland is a subscriber.

Steve Lucas

Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list