RE: [Aroid-l] Names for different forms?

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Names for different forms?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:27:32 +0000

From : 	Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
Sent : 	Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:20 AM
To : 	Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Names for different forms?

Dear Brian,

This all goes back to an issue that to date has not been 'solved' by the aroid group, and which is a VERY difficult issue, namely the cultivar names and the correct registering of these names according to whatever horticultural rules/laws that may apply. The IAS has nominated several people over the past several years ( I can recall at least three) to do something about setting up some sort of registry to legitimize some or all of these names which are being bantered about, but to date I think the progress on instituting this system is not in place or even being worked on. I have mentioned on several occasions that when man collectes a certain plant from nature, he usually selects one which to him is the most attractive out of several hundred, maybe thousands of other 'less attractive' specimens he may see in the field. All of these plants, both the 'attractive' ones AND the less attractive ones are still all variations of ONE species. All I can suggest at this time is that you make a label that explains what the particular clone or var. of that plant is, for example Philodendron stenolobum var. narrow/wavy/long leaf, and/or P. stenolobum var. short and broad leaf, or 'Anthurium warocqueanum var. Murline Lydon minature', vs. 'Anthu. warocqueanum var. large leaf '. Collection data and collectors name would be another good bit of information to keep with all wild collected plants. Perhaps Derek Burch can give some sort of suggestion or soloution that may serve you guys better??

The  Best,

Julius

I have recently been trying to up grade my data base of names as well as redo all my tags and make sure everything has as much data and information as possible. I have a few questions on forms. I know many plants have several forms of the same species. I would like to know if their are names for these forms or even if the science community really makes note of it? If not would putting a added portion to the name to help ID different forms be possible? If so who should come up with these name? Here are a few for instance off hand that I really think should have some more information. Their seems to be two very different forms of Veitchii one with wider leaves and much larger ripples. Then another form with thinner leaves and a much more rippled effect. I know that naming all slight different forms would not be worth while but for some very noticeable differences it could help people know exactly what they are getting and their seems to be a major price difference in one form compared to the other. Another one that comes to mind is the two forms of Anthurium warocqueanum one that can get 3 to 4 feet long and the smaller slender form with hardly any back lobes. They are very noticeably different yet go by the exact same name. If one was to order the plant under these name they could end up with either form though one form of each is usually much more sought after.<<