[Aroid-l] Names for different forms?

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Names for different forms?
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:20:11 -0500

I have recently been trying to up grade my data base of names as well as redo all my tags and make sure everything has as much data and information as possible. I have a few questions on forms. I know many plants have several forms of the same species. I would like to know if their are names for these forms or even if the science community really makes note of it? If not would putting a added portion to the name to help ID different forms be possible? If so who should come up with these name? Here are a few for instance off hand that I really think should have some more information. Their seems to be two very different forms of Veitchii one with wider leaves and much larger ripples. Then another form with thinner leaves and a much more rippled effect. I know that naming all slight different forms would not be worth while but for some very noticeable differences it could help people know exactly what they are getting and their seems to be a major price difference in one form compared to the other. Another one that comes to mind is the two forms of Anthurium warocqueanum one that can get 3 to 4 feet long and the smaller slender form with hardly any back lobes. They are very noticeably different yet go by the exact same name. If one was to order the plant under these name they could end up with either form though one form of each is usually much more sought after.