Re: [Aroid-l] LED growlights

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] LED growlights
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 01:06:11 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 bonaventure@optonline.net wrote:

> Anyone have experience with LED growlights? From what I've googled, they
> appear low energy use and maintenence, low heat production and efficient
> wavelengths for photosynthesis. Down side is high initial cost and unnatural
> appearing color. Any experience out there? Bonaventure

This is a topic of interest to me also. There are a number of "growing under
lights" forums where I've found the usual mix of people and information (and
disagreement). I had a URL to someone who, true to their engineering
personality, just designed and built a case for their house - lots of useful
information. Unfortunately, I can't find it at the moment, but if I do I'll
post it.

I've about decided to do that too. I'm going to take some measurements of light
intensity (foot-candles for the standard photometer and microE/s/m**2 for PAR,
since that's what the meter seems to use), and see what happens. If someone
knows a reliable supplier of high-output monochromatic LEDs with output
frequencies near the chlorophyll a & b peak absorption points, I'd appreciate a
note - I haven't done that research yet.

The cost, compared to fluorescents, will ensure that this is just an
experiment, but inquiring minds want to know ....

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com