Re: [Aroid-l] LED growlights

for many years I grew just about everything under banks of plain cool white fluorescents which I burned until they turned black and failed, at which point I replaced them. I grew small desert plants only a few inches from the lights, and in the ambient light the banks of fluorescents created, (they were ganged one inch apart and went on for a space of 20' x 80', and burned 12 hours on end, half of them, the other half, the OTHER 12 hours, I was able to grow palms and ferns and aroids and other plants like Hoyas and whatever else took my fancy. the one plants for which they did not suffice were cycads actively growing new fronds. For these plants I used a colour corrected mercury light with an inherent incandescent bulb, (this was 35 years ago, i am certain much progress has been made since then).
Just about the only bad thing about these wonderful lights is that since secret marijuana growers use them, one was at one time, subject to the scrutiny of DE LAW merely for having purchased these things by mail. I wonder how anybody knew we bought them. I mean, this was before homeland security.

At the time I had my light garden, i lived in Boston, and worked as an architect. I had access to the specs of all the lights manufactured commercially, and also access to the growth chambers at Harvard. Mike Bayliss was a young student then.

additionally I will mention that I never found grolites or whatever they are called, to be of any value, and neighter did Mike Kartuz who also briefly tested them.

My light garden was in the deep dark basement of a Dorchester Victorian house. without artificial lighting, NOT A MOTE of light got in there.

Aye, twas a magical place!

I wintered some plants on my desk, the greenhouse being too cold for them, under those circular swirly fluorescent bulbs which screw in like an incandescent bulb, and they did just fine.  These were South African succulent plants.

hermine