Re: [Aroid-l] LED growlights

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] LED growlights
  • From: "Franck R." <fradnai@free.fr>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:20:02 +0100

About Metal-halide and high pressure sodium lamps, Patrick Blanc a French botanist who makes vegetable wall (translate not sure ???) use sodium lamps of 3500°K if my memory is good (I could see to confirm the information if you want, and I think that I have the model of light). He uses only these lights. But I think that the composition of the spectrum is not complete because there is always the same problem, not enough red colour (in the ray 660 and 730nm). The other problem is the heat ; this type of light products lot of heat and you need to ventilate to avoid problems.
The T3/T5 can be a good solution to replace but generally here is a problem about the power that they can give in Lumens. They are a little poor. It is also the reason for I have preferred to go to the fluocompact lights. Now I make some studies and observations to choice the best solution between full spectrum / power in Lumens / quantity of red colour. The advantage of these lights is the long time life, consummation of electricity, no heat or very very few, and the facility to use them. About spectrum I have pictures of different for different temperature of colour for tubs. So if you are interested I can give them to you, tell me.
See you

bonaventure@optonline.net a écrit :
Thank you Franck,
You're technical expertise wowed me. Right now I just go with a mix of flourescent cool white and warm white tubes in one growing case, Metal-halide and high pressure sodium lamps mix in another growing case, and a smaller metal halide supplemented with new (experimenting with) compact flourescent bulbs. The light may make up in wavelength imbalance by its intensity. My worry is cost in utilities and heat produced, especially if I have to expand. It also appears the bulbs are weakening. This was apparent last winter to me about a year ago when I did replace them. I may opt to go compact flourescents or T3/T5 bulbs all the way.
Franck RADNAI - Climate Zone 7

Web site : http://fradnai.free.fr/
Photos   : http://fr.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/franckmilus/my_photos
Aroid-l mailing list