[Aroid-l] Names for different forms?

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Names for different forms?
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:36:41 -0500

This have been very informative. As you pointed out Alistair that some form are already known as different clones. I forgotten all about the different Alocasia lowii forms that are already out there. I am surprised that this is not seen in other aroid groups as much? As for the hybrids it would be very nice to be able to register them with the society or at least some sort of data base so that in the future they can help botanist and hobbyist ID their species or hybrids. I have been breeding a lot of new Alocasias, Colocasias and other aroid genera. I have been keeping good records of all my work. But if something were to happen to me my data would be lost forever. I know many people on the group are only are interested in species. The fact is that their are already tons of hybrids and other forms out in the trade. We have a data base for species and I think a data base for hybrids, mutations and different forms would be very helpful. I think more of the mainstream people grow more hybrids and colorful forms than they do species. Helping keep the names and IDs correct on them could be very useful for a larger group of people. Not only in keeping the parents data and cultivar names but also keeping known hybrids from getting mistaken for true species. Would be a big task but would be a nice addition to the site. Just a thought.
Aroid-l mailing list