RE: [Aroid-l] Names for different forms?

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Names for different forms?
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:20:50 -0400

Entirely correct, Alistair,
There should be no problems registering most aroid cultivars as you have pointed out. The genus name + cultivar name is usually sufficient to validly register a cultivar under the ICNCP. In other genera it has been found that certain valid species show considerable variation and some selected clones may be quite different from others. Clones might be an oxymoron, because most gardeners assume that a clones look exactly the same. While that is correct when one clones a selected "clone" from a variable wild population, it may be required that some cultivated clones will have to carry the full binomial + a cultivar name, to distinguish selected plants of a variable population of the same species. Another problem may arise when former species are found to be cultivars and have been validly reduced to cultivar rank. In Hosta, for example H. fortunei var. hyacinthina was found to be a European cultivated hybrid with no wild representation, so was reduced by me to cultivar rank and the name as a cultivar is H. 'Fortunei Hyacinthina' (per ICNCP articles). Another example are two non-perpetuating variegated chimaeral mutations of the same species found in the wild, which formerly were considered taxa under the ICBN. Thus H. ventricosa var. aureomarginata is now named  H. ventricosa 'Aureomarginata' and H. ventricosa var. aureomaculata is now H. ventricosa 'Aureomaculata'. I am mentioning these, because occasionally the full binomial needs to be applied and the ICNCP contains numerous articles, which govern such use. Obviously none of this may apply to aroids, but we are very careful to make certain that in hybrids we perpetuate the parentage by asking for that information on the registration form.
I believe that IAS already has work underway to facilitate registration of aroid cultivars and Derek is heading this effort. There is a link on the IAS website. I am involved more in taxonomy, but have been occupied with registrations for several genera and one thing we have found that it is difficult to come up with a registration form, which considers all of the different and salient morphological features to provide the foundation for a cultivar database. This will be particularly true in Araceae, with many different taxa being the source of cultivars. Without a comprehensive registration form it is difficult to get originators to register cultivars. That, I consider a hurdle (speaking from experience).

Best, George

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill R. G.
USDA Zone 7a - 1188 feet (361m) AMSL