RE: [Aroid-l] Names for different forms?

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Names for different forms?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:33:21 +0000

From : 	Alistair Hay <ajmhay@hotmail.com>
Sent : 	Thursday, March 15, 2007 12:14 AM
To : 	aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : 	RE: [Aroid-l] Names for different forms?

Dear aroid Friends,

First off, thanks to my friends George Schmid, Wilbert Hetterschied and Alistair Hay for their most informative comments on registering cultivars. I wrote to the L on behalf of Brian Williams, so hopefully he is better informed on what registering a cultivar involves. I guesss the NEXT big hurdle is---where does he register an aroid cultivar, with whom, and HOW does he go about doing so!! :--)

Good Growing!

Pared down to the basics, the only salient part of a cultivar that comes under the ICBN is the genus. The cultivar name at the minimum consists of the genus name and the cv epithet.

It does not matter all that much whether the plant is a selected man-made hybrid or a selection from a wild species or a selection from a natural hybrid population. The thing that is to be named is a clone, selected for some merit, within a genus.

Thus: the gargantuan white-spathed Amorphophallus 'Wilbert's Surprise' can be defined, named, established and registered provided it is distinct from other cultivars of Amorphophallus, uniform and stable regardless of what species or hybrid it is. Of course it would be nice to have the information that it is an f2 hybrid of A. titanum and A. prainii, but that it not a necessary piece of information to name the cv. [I have made this example up, just in case anyone was wondering!].

The sort of problem that George raises would, I think, arise in specific circumstances where there was an intention to transfer a latin botanical epithet into a cultivar name. This can only be done where the entire taxon is a clone. A possible example is Aliocasia zebrina var tigrina: If it can be demonstrated that var. tigrina is a clone then that botanical varietal epithet can become the cultivar epithet as in Alocasia 'Tigrina'. If it is not clear whether var. tigrina is a clone then there are simpler solutions than DNA and field analysis. Either don't transfer the latin epithet at all, or translate it into a contemporary language e.g. Alocasia 'Tigrine' applied to the cultivated clone known now as "tigrina". That way the exact status of the botanical variety does not need to be found out at all, while a familiar name (slightly adjusted) can be retained as a cultivar epithet.

What I am getting at is that the issues which George raises, while valid, should not necessarily create the impression of vast hurdles to getting things going with Aroid cv classifictaion.