[Aroid-l] Smells on Philodendron

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Smells on Philodendron
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:35:21 -0500

It has always interested me on how odd some smells on aroids can be and how some smell exactly like something I have smelled before. For instance Typhonium roxburghii smells exactly like this artificial fart spray LOL. I have to say neither smell like a real fart if so you may need to visit your doctor soon. It is very interesting how they smell almost the exact same. It makes me wonder if it is the same chemical compounds at work. Here is a link to the Fart spray that I believe smells so similar one you smell it's hard to forget much like the Typhonium.
http://www.blmnovelties.com/images/51001s.JPG

The last week or so I have been trying to cross breed some interesting Philodendrons manly the climbing forms. I got some extremely sticky sap off of the tip spadix of Philo melinonii which stayed on my hands for hours even after wetting them off. The smell seemed very very familiar but I was unable to put my finger on it. I asked a few family members and my stepmother said it smelled like Black Jack bubble gum I was not familiar with it but she said it is a sort of liquorish candy. After she said that I did notice it was a liquorish smell for sure. I now want to get some liquorish and see exactly how similar they do smell. I have also noticed when my Colocasias are ready for pollen and if you get your nose down in the flower a distinct Banana smell is emitted. At times it can be so strong I can walk through my garden and know something is asking for pollen. I believe aroids use smells more than just about any other plant group. I am very suprized that their are no well known aroids in cultivation that are more keyed for their smells?