[Aroid-l] Wrong name on Philodendron variifolium

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Wrong name on Philodendron variifolium
  • From: "Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest" <steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:57:59 -0500

I just spent an interesting afternoon discussing what I thought was Philodendron varrifolium with Dr. Croat.  The species I have shown on my website won the 2005 Best in Show Award at the 2005 Aroid Show using the name P. variifolium.  Dr. Croat says we've got this one wrong and the actual name is Philodendron brandtianum K. Krause.  Tom says this is only the juvenile form and the plant will eventually become tri-lobed.  The error apparently dates back to an error in Exotica 3.  If anyone has an actual photo of the adult form of Philodendron brandtianum and would be willing to allow me to post it with credit please let me know.  And if anyone has more information to help make the description more complete I'd love to hear from you on that as well.  Ron Weeks has provided information in the past and I'd love to get this updated now.

Here's the link to the newly updated page:

Steve Lucas