Re: [Aroid-l] Hot Water Treatment for Nematodes in Amorphs

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Hot Water Treatment for Nematodes in Amorphs
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:42:51 -0600 (CST)

There are posts on this now and then over on the bulb lists, especially the
ones where amaryllid growers hang out. Apparently one group is even having some
success de-virusing amaryllids with heat treatment, although they found a
higher temperature was needed (55 C for one hour was one comment), and there is
a very narrow window between not killing the virus and also killing the bulb.

If I were going to try this, I'd buy one of those immersion heater water bath
setups I see in labs, and lately, in kitchens (Iron Chef, anyone?). It seems
they are great for poaching things because they regulate the temperature so
precisely.

Steve

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, ALLAN TETZLAFF wrote:

> Any idea how you accomplish such a task with accuracy?  I've no idea about
> equipment.
>
>   Thanks,
>   Allan
>
> "StroWi@t-online.de" <StroWi@t-online.de> wrote:
>   Dear George,
>
> a standard treatment to cure dormant Hippeastrum bulbs from mites
> (Steonotarsonemus laticeps) and a fungus (Stagonospora curtisii) is 46 C for
> 2 hours; since Hippeastrum bulbs can be quite big in diameter it might match
> Amorphophallus.
>
> Good luck,
> Bernhard.

-- Steve Marak