Re: Cyrtosperma

Hi Stan,
It is available in the US, touchy to grow unless greenhoused or warm weather location, someone told me once that if you put an ice cube in your mouth and blow on the plant, it would die!  In other words, VERY cold sensitive.
That said, I originally got a specimen from the IAS show, was mistakenly called Alocasia johnstonii, or maybe that is an old name.  It made it through a winter indoors in Wisconsin, planted in normal potting soil, then I planted it out and it died...
Now it is known as Cyrtosperma johnstonii, needs to sit in water or grow on the edge of water, hopefully more can chime in, as I don't grow it.... Julius knows lots about it and Dewey and Enid grow it (or grew it) as far as I know.
Wish it was easier- I love those petioles!

Stanley kaufman <kaufmanrareplants@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi Susan,

I saw an eight to ten foot example of this in Honduras -with square stems spiked all along the four corners.  I have photos of the infls. too.  Do you know the species , if it is available in US and whether it can be grown in containers in a greenhouse.  It is really spectacular.

Susan B <honeybunny442@yahoo.com> wrote:
Or whatever this big leaf is... I think Julius was looking for this photo quite a while back...
Taken at Fairchild Gardens

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. _______________________________________________
Aroid-L mailing list

Aroid-L mailing list