Re: Cyrtosperma

  • Subject: Re: Cyrtosperma
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 11:33:24 +0000

________________________________
> Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 12:17:11 -0800
> From: kaufmanrareplants@yahoo.com
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Cyrtosperma

Dear Stan,

Allow me to attempt to assist you with an I.D.   From your description the plant you saw in Honduras was/is Lasimorpha senegalensis, which is native to W. Africa!   A jpeg from you of an inflorsence from the plant you saw, which should be yellowish and blotched with purplish markings,  would confirm it.   Your observation of the ''square'' petioles with spikes suggests/confirms  it's I.D., as all Cyrtospermas have more or less rounded (in cross section) petioles with thorns.   There is another Lasioid genus which occurs in Central and Northern S. America, namely Urospatha, but this does not have spikes or spines on the petioles or anywhere else.   The genus has been recorded in Belize, and so should be expected to occur in Honduras in swampy areas.  Most species have rounded petioles, but one species from near El Tigre in W. Venezuela has angled/"squarish' petioles, but never has spines/spikes/thorns, and all species of Urospatha have long ''projections'' to the tips of the s
 pathe, some species are cork-screwed, a few are straight and tubular.
Lots more valuable information, including photos and instructions for their cultivation of these most interesting aquatic species can be seen in my papers --" Boos, J. O. 1993.  Experiencing Urospathas.  Aroideana 16: 33-36", and "Boos, J. O. 1997.  Observations on New World Araceae-Lasieae.  Aroideana 20: 13-26."
Additional information on this and all other genera can be had in Deni Bown`s remarkable book, "Aroids Plants of the Arum Family", Timber Press, ISBN  0-88192-485-7.
Enid at Natural Selections is a source for these plants, sometimes in short supply.
Susan, the name Alocasia johnstonii was a big error, they are very different to and a seperate genus/group to Alocasias.
I look forward to hearing from you with more information!

Sincerely,

Julius Boos, WPB  FLORIDA