Re: FW: Pharmacy spam on Aroid-L

  • Subject: Re: FW: Pharmacy spam on Aroid-L
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:28:03 -0500 (CDT)

Well, that answers a question I had, which was did anyone else see this
post?

I was extremely surprised, about 1:10 am local time last Friday morning,
to see in my inbox what appeared to be a post from Aroid-L. I was
surprised both because I had not approved any posts at that time (and no
posts should go out without approval), and also because it was clearly
spam, and also because I didn't even see it in the queue awaiting
approval.

I immediately fired off a note to another local member of the list who is
a night owl, asking if he'd seen the note, while I dug through the e-mail
headers.

The other member didn't see the spam post. That left me wondering who had
seen it, but I hated to ask and generate a lot of traffic if it turned it
the answer was only me.

In the meantime, of course, I've been digging through both the spam e-mail
and the listserver settings and options, trying to figure out how this got
through. I have a theory, which would mean a lot of lists besides Aroid-L
were vulnerable and that it was beyond our control, but I haven't tested
it yet. (It requires some setup. You will probably see us try it later
this week.)

In the meantime, I apologize for the intrusion on our otherwise peaceful
list.

Steve

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Helmut Reisenberger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The following message I found in my mailbox!!! Is there anybody misusing
> the forum, which I always have understood as a perfect source of
> information about aroids and aroiders. Pls. find attatched the strange
> email.
>
> Helmut

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com