Re: Anthurium hookeri germination

  • Subject: Re: Anthurium hookeri germination
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:57:12 +0000

> From: Ferenc.Lengyel@aok.pte.hu
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:18:24 +0100
> Subject: [Aroid-l] Anthurium hookeri germination

Dear Ferenc,

It might be that in nature there are ants which could carry the fallen fruit away from the fruiting plant to a suitable site for germinating, or the fruit may fall to the forest floor and be washed away from the main plant by heavy seasonal rains, though it is thought that birds are the main distributer of fruit and seed in this group of Anthuriums.
As suggested by Steve, just place the seed ( most suggest washing off the fruit pulp to avoid fungus) in damp sphagnum moss in a plastic bag, keep it well lit (no direct sun!) and warm, and all seed should germinate.

The Best,

Julius

<< Hello,