Anthurium hookeri germination

  • Subject: Anthurium hookeri germination
  • From: "Lengyel Ferenc" <Ferenc.Lengyel@aok.pte.hu>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:18:24 +0100

Hello,
I have an Anthurium (the common one sold in the plant shops as Anthurium hookeri). It
grew 3 inflorences at a time, so it colud self pollinate itself. Now the cone-shaped berries are
ripening. They push thenselves out of the inflorescense as they ripe one after one, and then
they fall down very easily. The colour is quite pale. What does spread the seeds? In my
opinion they fall down too easily and are too pale to be eaten by birds.
My main question is about seed germination. I can see two small seeds in each berry. I
would like to get some advise on germinating them. Should I pot them as soon as I take
them out of the berry? Should I simply place them in wet moss? Should they be treated with
some kind of acid before? Should I bleach them in clear water for a day? Should I dry them?
Or what to do?
Thanks for any info
Regards!
Ferenc