Re: Initiation of Flowering in Amorphophallus

  • Subject: Re: Initiation of Flowering in Amorphophallus
  • From: Scott Hyndman <hyndman@aroid.org>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 03:17:47 -0400

With regards to the excellent discussion on the factors that can affect flowering in Amorphophallus titanum, I would like to add that there can be individual genetic differences that can influence blooming as well. Here's a recent picture of me with an 8 year old plant of Amorphophallus titanum that I grew from a seed obtained from Tito Wee. Tito's seed came from one of the original plants that also came from seed that Jim Symon first brought from Sumatra over 15 years ago. So the plant in this picture is the result of a sibling cross from two of Symon's original plants, a second generation if you will. I have other sibling plants that are not more that a meter tall showing great variability within the population. This particular plant growing in a 133 liter pot (35 gallons) should bloom after the next dormancy later this year, or early next year. My sincere thanks to Randy and Ty Strode at Agri-Starts, Inc., Apopka, Florida, for letting me keep the plant there in their state of the art greenhouse for the past two years as it definitely has now out grown the screened in pool area at my home in Vero Beach. Thanks to the expert grower's care at Agri-Starts we should see a bloom within the next year.

Regards, Scott

JPEG image