Re: Alocasia identification

  • Subject: Re: Alocasia identification
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 10:15:32 +0000

Dear David,

The plant in the photos is NOT a Xanthosoma sp., your suggestions are at least correct in part, it is an Alocasia species, and may well be A. macrorrhizos, but Peter Boyce may be able to be more precise on an I.D.
A. macrorrhizos is said to be a VERY plastic species, A. ''cuculata'', A. "Sting Ray'' and several other plants are all forms of this one species, so your plant, though to me it seems a little different to A. macrorrhizos, may well be this species, the fantastic photos you provided are the clue other REAL experts on the genus will need for a positive I.D.

Good Growing,