Re: Alocasia identification

Hi David, sehr geehrter Herr Magister!

You are right, this is definetily Alocasia macrorrhiza Schott.
This misidentification in the HBV (Vienna Botanical Garden) is less embarrassing as you realize that in all even more famous botanical collections (open to the public) you will find this phenomena. I even have found heavy misinformations in the reknown "Palmengarten" in Franfurt (Germany). In once had offered them to redo the labels.
So far it is good to have a grandious source of information in the IAS, based on Dr. Croat, Peter Boyce and many others. Not to forget Steve Lucas, who never gets tired in discussing and publishing relevant articles under "exoticrainforest.com" .

But we should also keep in mind, that some ages ago the father of H.W.Schott had been the head of the HBV. So this is a good chance to offer an new initiative in Vienna to give any assistance to the ambitious folks working in and for the HBV.

Helmut