Stopping the Stink

  • Subject: Stopping the Stink
  • From: James Waddick <jwaddick@kc.rr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:00:38 -0500

Title: Stopping the Stink
Dear Aroiders,
        I just read this entry at the Cistus Nursery site at

Sauromatum venosum   monarch of the east
Striking, tuberous Araceae, the spring flowers (spathe) mottled in fleshy pink to metallic maroon and followed
by an attractive, single leaf on a 2-3 ft petiole. Stunning, especially in flower. Very tropical.  Also aromatic,
redolent of fly-attracting odors that can be mitigated by a spray of water or left to work their own kind of
magic. Half sun and regular summer water.

        Having recently been driven briefly out of the house by a blooming plant in the basement, I wonder if this is true. Could I have simply sprayed the inflorescence with water and eliminated the stink ?

        Anyone have experience with this method?

                Many thanks.            Jim W.
Dr. James W. Waddick
8871 NW Brostrom Rd.
Kansas City Missouri 64152-2711