Re : Arisaema hardiness

  • Subject: Re : Arisaema hardiness
  • From: michael kolaczewski <mjkolaffhbc@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 20:30:26 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings Marek,
None of these will grow in the ground in the Greater Chicago Area.
We are once again,  zones 5A to 5B, maybe 6A.
Have tried A. speciosum a few years back, mulched very well, and the
young plants that I received were supposed to have grown from seeds
collected in a higher elevation, But no luck.
As a side note, I have been cultivating A. flavum, for several years now, and the juvenile corms
do not tolerate winter wetness here very well. Out of 50 "babies" with diameters
of about a good sized blueberry, about a third have rotted away in a cold frame.
I am  still fine tuning the propagation mix and late fall watering on this one.
Often times, the fall weather and exposure before winter sets in here, can
be critical, for both in ground, and containerized plants.
 The effects of water saturation of the soil, penetration of frost( and soil freezing
depth) winter conditions : freezing / thawing, wind, snow accumulation, or lack of
 etc; all contribute to a ( young or mature) plant's success or failure here,
in the Midwest Temperate climate.
Good Luck !!
Michael Kolaczewski
p.s. Check out Guy & Lilane Gusman's Book "The Genus Arisaema" for more information,
If you can!!!