Re: Alvim Seidel Philodendron seeds - questions

Dear Marie-Eve,

    Let me try to answer some of your questions. P. speciosum is really
huge and its leaves usually can grow up to 1m long in the wild. It is true
that some individuals (growing under greenhouse conditions) can have
leaves reaching 1.6m long but it is somewhat rare. Well, it is quite
different from 2-3m long, but you still need a small palace to grow it
indoors!
    P. cymbispathum is rather a self-header plant with a crowd of leaves
on the top of the stem, that is erect. The stem looks like a dwarf P.
bipinnatifidum and the leaves are sagittate to hastate. It is a synonim of
P.  brasiliense (that is the currently accepted name) so you can take a
look on your Exotica. The whole plant can reach  approx. 1.20m long.
    P. eichleri is a synonim of P. undulatum and the leaves aren't
velvety neither metallic-looking. They are dull green.
    Well, I don't know all species from the Seidel's list (for instance
I have never seen P. barryi, P. colombianum, P. rubrinervum, P.pittieri,
P. pseudoradiatum and P. tuxla) but the only one I remeber that always
have coloured leaves is P. hastatum, with vinaceous cataphyls and
petioles. I also think P. ornatum is very attractive with its ornamentated
petioles.

Hope it helps,

Eduardo.