Re: Alvim Seidel Philodendron seeds - questions

Dear Todd,

Let me add some info about the species I know.

P. eximium is a plant from coastal Brazil and inhabit somewhat high
elevations (up to 1100m). It seems to preffer wet and shaded places
(Marcus Nadruz, pers.comm) and the leaves are cordate and delicate.

P.ornatum is a large plant, that ranges from Venezuela to Coastal Brazil.
It is found in elevations ranging from 0 to more than 1000m and can be
found in montane wet forest, Amazonian forest and even on the 'restinga'
(Brazilian vegetation that occurs very near to sea, along the beaches).
It is a good evidence that the plant can handle very different habitats
and seems to be pretty rustic.

P. cordatum is quite different from P. scandens. We have two strong
possibilities:  Seidel can be selling a mislabelled P. scandens (formerly
P. oxycardium), a scandent species with short petioles (up to 10cm
long) and cordate leaves without well differentiated basal
ribs. He also can be selling the real P. cordatum that is a Brazilian species
that also inhabit coastal forests (mainly in the state of Santa
Catarina, where Alvim Seidel lives...), but it is larger
and rather creeping than scandent. It has well developed basal ribs,
leaves oblong-cordate and the petiole can reach up to 60cm long.

P. myrmecophilum is a somewhat large species from Amazonian Brazil. It
is epiphytic when young (furtherly hemiepyphitic, because it send roots to
the soil) and have elongated leaves with nectaries on the petiole, next to
the insertion of leaf.

P. wendlandii - In my experience with such species, it seems to support
dry conditions very well (it has the resin ducts in the petioles filled
with a very-hydrated gel and I think it can keep some water inside), but
can't handle direct sun.

Best wishes,