Pollinating Cryptocoryne

Deansliger wrote:

> I've read conflicting reports that Cryptocorynes are self-sterile, but I've
> never had two plants of the same species blooming at the same time so I
> haven't been able to test that theory myself.
The situation in Cryptocoryne is quite clear. When the spathe opens, the
female flowers will accept pollen for about 24 hours. The male flowers
ripen in about three days, you you'll have to use two inflorescenses.
Niels Jacobsen made some crossings in the 70's, showing the hybrid
origin of C. willisii. Just now there is some exitement in the crypts MG
on crossings with a triploid parent, reported from Alexei Bednii from

Jan Bastmeijer