Fw: Xan. Amovirans Horrida

-----Original Message-----
From: Julius Boos <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
To: aroid-l@mobot.org <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Friday, March 26, 1999 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: Xan. Amovirans Horrida

>Hi Don -- I bought it at the Aroid sale in Fairchild Garden and it has
variegated leaves which are somewhat bunched and distorted near the tip.
<Phil><

Dear Friends,
Just my stupid two cents worth as usual---  Are there not TWO forms of this
plant, one with the 'cup' at the leaf tips ('monstrosum'), and one with the
'frills' at the mid-rib UNDERNEATH the leaf blades which I believe is called
'appendiculatum'??
Some time ago I used the second as an example of the RAPID vegetative
evoloution that can occur in some Aroids, as the 'pups' or plantlets will
vary from the parent plant, and their 'pups' from them!   I`ve seen  both
varieties in varigated and plain green from time to time.   Another point
reguarding the scientific name, in Denni Bown`s wonderful book "AROIDS,
Plants of the ARUM Family" , she uses "X. atrovirens" for these two plants,
AS WELL AS the yellow-fleshed edible Xanthosoma, which I do not believe is
the same species.
This illustrates the need for an urgent revision of this genus--- Sue
Thompson where are you??????????,
Should grow well in very rich, well drained soil kept fairly damp, but
allowed to become fairly dry between waterings.   They are, like most
Xanthosomas, spider mite magnets!!
Good growing,
Julius