Re: Looking for birdsnest type Anthuriums

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Looking for birdsnest type Anthuriums
  • From: "Don Bittel" <dbittel@treco.net>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 18:57:16 -0500 (CDT)

   What area of the world do you live? These Anthuriums are best to find
locally, for several reasons. They are hard to ship mail order because the
leaves break off at the leafstem (geniculum) if sleeved or bent upward.
They are also hard to tell apart, and usually mislabeled as A. hookeri, but
aren't. The best varieties are usually true to the name, because they are
so distinctive.
    Recently, Tropiflora in Sarasota FL USA had some of the best species
available mail order, including superbum, willifordii, and splendidum (or
luxurians, when this gets sorted out). Tropiflora is an excellent source,
and packages very well. And the prices are great considering the rarity and
size of plants.
    If you find a local grower, you might get some great plants. there are
hundreds of species, and many more hybrids (backyard hybrids of Anthurium
are my favorites) Some of the best are in tissue culture, with cultivar
   Let us know where you are, and maybe you can find a local source.

Don Bittel