Re: pollinating Anth veitchii ?

In regards to Michael's request for info about pollinating Anthurium
veitchii: We got seed on our A. veitchii with no special scientific
techiques. I was told that it is very unusual to get seed set on this species
by several people who came through and saw all our seedlings. There was even
a request that we write up a paper about our pollination procedure. I did not
do the pollination, but when I asked our horticulturist, she just shrugged
and said she just did a "hand job" on the inflorescence by gathering pollen
(this species really produces a ton of pollen) from one inflorescence in the
palm of her hand and then she slathered the pollen onto the sticky receptive
stigmas of another infloresence on a different plant. We had about three or
four different clones of A. veitchii at the time, which we had acquired as
seedlings from Colombia. I don't think she anticipated that her "technique"
would be so successful, but we got incredible seed set. We later distributed
the seedlings to our members in the fall of 1998, most of whom did not even
take these wonderful plants so we had many left over (there is no accounting
for taste). We distributed the remaining seedlings through Denis Cathcart at
Tropiflora, who told us that the Disney people from Animal Kingdom swooped in
and scarfed them all up in one buying binge. We kept about 4-5 of the
seedling batch and one of these was auctioned at the IAS annual show and sale
last September.

Donna Atwood
Selby Gardens
811 S. Palm Ave.
Sarasota, Florida 34236
USA

<< I have been asked by some one in South Africa , how do you get seed to set
 on Anthurium veitchii ?
 He has two plants, maybe the only 2 in Sth. Africa, and would love to be
 able to grow some seedlings to distribute.