Re: AMORPHOPHALLUS @ Fairchild Tropical Garden

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: AMORPHOPHALLUS @ Fairchild Tropical Garden
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 20:31:16 -0500 (CDT)

> Donna,
> Just joking about the cultivar names. But doesn't one have to make the
grex
> name
> official.

If you DO mean "grex" then I maintain that we must not adopt the grex-system
for aroid cultivars. It would anyway be impossible to get to know anything
of parentage of highly succesful cultivar-lines. Rightly so, because that is
part of industrial secrets and intellectual property. One cannot force
anyone to surrender the names of parents of a succesful cultivar. That would
be the same as to ask Coca Cola the recipe for their drink. Let's become
practical about this, people and leave the amteuristic grex-system where it
is. Aroids have a long tradition of really professional breeding and the
grex cannot serve that system in nomenclatural matters.

 This is what is done in orchid registery and cultivar (or clonal)
> names are then "fixed" at judging when an official award is given to it
(or
> not)
> at a judging center or show.

A cultivar epithet must be officially published. I suggest those interested
in these matters read the Cultivated Plant Code.

> Bonaventure

Wilbert