Re: Cultivar registration

I can see that there is a big misunderstanding about what a cultivar
registrar is supposed to do. First of all, parentage is not required
information, although there will be space for this information (if known) on
the registration form. We may have some dynomite clone that needs to be
registered and not know a thing about its lineage. The plant will still be
registered even if nothing is known about how it arose. There may be
misidentification of one or both parents, so why bother with recording
lineages unless every plant that contributed to the cultivar has been
properly identified. This will never happen, folks! There is no verification
of orchid hybrids simply because there is no way to identify hybrids, and it
is the same with aroids. I am sure to get plants submitted for registration
that have incorrectly identified parents. I will just have to register what I
get.

Secondly, it is not up to the registrar to make any value judgements about
what is good and acceptable and what is a lousy cultivar. That responsibilty
belongs to the breeder or registrant or whoever is submitting the plant for
cultivar status. If a person wants to have a legacy of registering worthless
material, that is their choice. The only choice a registrar makes if whether
there is enough evidence to support accepting or rejecting the cultivar, so
in some cases questionable material may be evaluated by another party if
needed. The registrar makes no independent decision about whether the clone
is "worthy". This kind of judging is not the authority or responsibility of
the registrar.

I think if the IAS is concerned about quality control, then there will need
to be another process for evaluating any registered cultivars, such as a
judging program. I will just be keeping the cultivar records, making sure the
submitted names are appropriate and comply with the Code, and publishing
checklists and Registers. As long as the required information and fee is
submitted and the rules of naming are followed, then a cultivar will probably
get registered.

Donna Atwood
Selby Gardens