secondary hemiepiphytes

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: secondary hemiepiphytes
  • From: alan san juan <kalim@erols.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 21:19:54 -0500 (CDT)

I have two questions, maybe someone can help:

Monstera deliciosa is probably the most famous example of plants that
may start out as seedlings in the soil, before climbing up trees and
(maybe) slowly dispensing with its connections to the earth.

(1) I'm wondering whether anyone has any other examples of this in the
aroid family.

(2) Is there any evidence or explanation as to why any plant would elect
to dispense with a ready supply of water by doing this? Is there some
energy consideration involved (eg., too expensive to maintain
connections to the ground)?

Thanks for any answers.