Re: secondary hemiepiphytes

> > The behavior seemed so remarkable to me, so I figured I might get some
> > answers by posing the questions to this group.
> >
> > Thanks again.
> > alan.
>Whatever else Alan you generated some very interesting discussion,and I
>for one found them informitive and enjoyable. Thankyou .

Oh  some Ficus does this. sort of. it starts out as an epiphyte and then
puts down long roots into the ground, which duplicate the action of muscle
tissue and contract, ultimately throttling the host.  Pulling the Ficus
into the earth. your "strangler fig". now i know this is NOT the
FIGS@egroups.com list, so don't  PLEASE yell at me for an off-topic post.
and i also know that this is a plant starting out as an epiphyte and
winding up as a terrestrial, which is backwards of the original question. I
should mention this is different from the contractile roots which pull
certain succulents into the ground in droughts. it actually replicates the
contractile tissue of muscle, it does not merely dry and contract.

104 in the shade and croaking