Re: secondary hemiepiphytes

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: secondary hemiepiphytes
  • From: alan san juan <kalim@erols.com>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 22:43:33 -0500 (CDT)

just for your info:

I looked up where I got the idea, and here are some references:

(1) Foraging Behaviour in Tropical Herbaceous Climbers (Araceae); Ray,
Thomas S; The Journal of Ecology, Oxford; 1992; Vol. 80, Iss. 2; pg. 189

In the introduction to this article, Thomas notes that some of the
climbers "moved" through the understory and to the canopy using rapidly
growing tips and (final) senescence of the lower stem region.

(2) The HIgh Frontier: EXplring the Trpical Rainforest Canopy, by Mark

IN one chapter, Moffett dwells on secondary hemiepiphytes, noting that
"progression results from the stem growing in front and dying behind".