Re: Variegated Amorphophallus??

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Variegated Amorphophallus??
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 10:26:56 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Don,

This is the phalloid-doctor....... Variegation MAY suddenly appear as a
mutation but the other possibility, a sickness (nutrient deficiency or a
viral infection) may also lead to variegation. When the variegation is
irregular, fuzzy, irregular stripe-like, it may be that last option, a
virus............. There is a virus that has recently gotten the name
konjac-break-virus that has been found by the phytoguys here in Holland and
is also known to occur in Zantedeschia. Zantedeschia however may hold a
variety of 15 viruses, so this new one was named after A. konjac, where it
seems to be the only virus. If you can make a photo of the leaf and a send a
scan, I'll help you out.

There IS a third possibility.....but that wouldn't shine well on
you......and that is that you have mixed a plant or a label and you're
looking at a variegated Pseudodracontium (P. lacourii or P.

Can you already see the primordial foliar bulbil in the centre of the leaf?
If so, then it is muelleri.