Re: Variegated Amorphophallus??

>This is the phalloid-doctor....... Variegation MAY suddenly appear as a
>mutation but the other possibility, a sickness (nutrient deficiency or a
>viral infection) may also lead to variegation.

I concur with Wilbert on the issue of variegation in Amorphophallus.  I have
one
A. paeoniifolius that regularly has a small section of the leaf with a
beautiful
splashing of white vareigation.  Sadly I have not been able to root the
variegated
section via stem cutting.  Of the 4 or 5 times that I have planted A.
paeoniifolius
seed, there always seems to be a few variegated seedlings that also sadly
don't
live long enough to form a good size tuber. I've also seen variegation
appear in
A. prainii seelings.

As for viral variegation, I have seen this once in a plant of A.
paeoniifolius.  And as
Wilbert stated it has a rather blurred, yellowish pattern.  Quite sickly
looking.

A fellow variegated plant collector sent me a form of A. konjac that he
calls 'Aurea',
but you really have to use your imagination to see the 'Aurea' in the
leaves.  I've been
hoping to hybidize this so-called A. konjac 'Aurea' with the black stemmed
form of
A. konjac with the goal of getting the yellow leaf with the black stem, but
so far the
plants have not bloomed in synch yet.

Alan