When will they grow old...

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: When will they grow old...
  • From: flo.s@t-online.de (flo.s)
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 17:20:11 -0500 (CDT)

Hi there,

I was a reader until now, but lately a question came into my mind, which
somebody here might have answers for.

Most of the Amorphophallus individuals exchanged among the enthusiasts are
"children" bulbs generated by "parents" year after year. Those bulbs can be
considered just as a "branch" of the parent plant and thus might be considered
as a part of an unknown aged plant. To keep control over all the branches some
of you are tracking the clones. To use the thought above, if Amorphophallus
was
a tree, each clone would be one tree.

Does anyone know the age of the clones? When will these clones grow old and
die?
Will only the parent become weak and die or also its branches if the time has
come? Has anybody experiences with this?

Best regards,

Florian Sanwald
Munich, Germany