Re: Philodendron Burle Marx

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Philodendron Burle Marx
  • From: alan san juan <kalim@erols.com>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 23:09:46 -0500 (CDT)

Interesting. I am always amazed at the ability of some aroids to
withstand prolonged periods without roots or leaves. I have a ~ 10 cm
piece with 2 leaves (1 completely open, the other unfurled) and
absolutely no roots. I had first placed it in water, but when no roots
came up, stuck it in perlite. IT has remained there for 2 months now,
seemingly with no problems. Transpiration must be removing water from it
at a rapid rate through the leaves, and yet it remains ok.....an
evolutionary adaptation to severe conditions in its role as a climber?
who knows?