Titan Watch 5/07/2001 - topped 5 feet

  • Subject: Titan Watch 5/07/2001 - topped 5 feet
  • From: "Craig Allen" <callen@fairchildgarden.org>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 21:28:15 -0500 (CDT)

Titan Watch 5/07/2001:

The Amorphophallus titanum FG 931146

HEIGHT / DESCRIPTION
inflorescence reached 5 FOOT this morning. It is now larger than it was when
the same plant bloomed in 1998, and it is still a relatively immature bud.
It has a beautifully mottled attending cataphylls/bracts that still holds to
the exterior of the expanding spathe for a long period during the blooming
sequence. It is really getting beautiful. It is large enough that some
visitors seem to talk in hushed tone... only to break out in giggles. Wonder
what they were talking about?

DISPLAY
Today we set up an informative display in the Conservatory foyer.

WEB SITE / PHOTOS
There is a new picture added to FTG's titan web page. We are planning to add
a number of close-ups of the spathe and spadix.
www.fairchildgarden.org ...and follow the links.

TITAN 24-HOUR HOTLINE
To let interested parties check in regularly the Garden there is also a
hotline set up that people can call. It is updated daily.
*****      Titan Watch Hotline: (305) 667-1651 x 3350.

OTHER AMORPHOPHALLUS SPECIES
Also in the display area are the open blooms of Amorphophallus bulbifer. The
beauty of these two open inflorescence is almost breath taking. They are
about 14" tall, wide open spathe of the warmest pink fading to nearly white
at the edges. Another really nice surprise is the sweet aroma of one of the
plants. I thought it smelled a little like cantaloupe and cotton candy
mixed. I noticed that the other plant from a different source had little
detectable odor.

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road
Coral Gables(Miami), Florida, USA  33156-4296
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320
Fax 305-661-8953
e-mail callen@fairchildgarden.org
web: www.fairchildgarden.org