Visit to PDN...

  • Subject: Visit to PDN...
  • From: Al Wootten <awootten@NRAO.EDU>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 14:11:41 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks Craig for the updates...I only wish I were passing through Miami
sometime soon.  I was lucky enough to pass by Raleigh this weekend past
on my way from recovering my son's college stuff back to home.  Lucky because
it was open house at Plant Delights.  Several A. konjac  were in stately bloom
in the Juniper Level garden by the gazebo--a thoroughly delightful garden
I might add.  I didn't think the smell bad at all, though my mother, traveling
with me, disagreed.  Numerous Arisaemae dotted the woodland floor.  In the
nursery I found out how well the name fits--each house held a new collection
of treasures.  I picked up as many as I could carry--blooming A. sikokianum
and kiusianum Makino and several non-aroids.  The real treasure, however,
was a Dracunculus vulgaris in bud.  I worried for the remaining 7 hours
of the trip that it would bloom in the car and get me in real trouble with
my mother.  Every little scent of a passing paper factory got us worried.
However, it is now safely in the garden where I only have to worry that
it will bloom while I am traveling this next week and asphyxiate my wife
and sons.  I'm not sure how long the bloom lasts, but it appears a few
days from opening; perhaps I can pollinate it and get some seed...

Great show, Tony!

Clear skies,