SuperThrive skepticism

  • Subject: SuperThrive skepticism
  • From: Lester Kallus <lkallus@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 16:12:02 -0500 (CDT)

You'll have to pardon my skepticism on SuperThrive - a product which I have
tried but have since abandoned.  Actually, the ingredients were not a
secret on the bottle I purchased.  They were listed right there on the
label.  The print, of course, was very tiny.

A friend who's a Professor of Botany looked at the SuperThrive ingredients
and agreed  that the ingredients fell into 2 classes, a vitamin and a
rooting hormone..

I then researched the product in a toxic ingestion database and found the
ingredients to include:
VITAMIN B1 0.09%

This is the undiluted product which, once diluted, becomes a very dilute
solution of each of the two ingredients..

She had discounted any benefit to the vitamin saying that plants do not
need to absorb them but rather make their own.  It's much like a human
taking Vitamin D supplements - the human body makes all the vitamin D it
needs if only exposed to sunlight or some other UV source.  (Incidentally,
for anyone who wonders that's why there are few vitamin supplements these
days with any significant dose of vitamin D in them given that megadosing
would be deleterious.)    In this case, of course, we're talking about B1 &
plants, but I believe the same principle applies.

She did indicate that the SuperThrive rooting hormone might help some young
plants that hadn't grown a full set of roots yet but doubted there'd be any
benefit to established plants.

Now if she were wrong and plants actually did benefit from exogenous
vitamins, I'd have two comments.

The first is:  why wouldn't companies like Scott's have jumped on the wagon
and made their own vitamin and hormone supplementation for plants.  There's
no way anyone can place a patent on either of the ingredients.

The second is:  why pay a fortune for a vitamin solution.  Why not just
steal one of your kid's Fred Flinstone vitamins, dissolve it in water and
pour that over the plant.  After all, the SuperThrive website does say that
it's so benign that you can make a concentration 4500 greater than
recommend and not injure the plant.

Perhaps what's helping newly planted tubers is the rooting hormone
component and that, at least, makes some scientific sense.  Regardless,
there have to be cheaper sources.

If people are still convinced there's miraculous value to SuperThrive, I'd
like them to remember that I live in New York and that I've heard there's
this bridge being sold at an amazingly low price...