Titan Watch 4/10/2001

Titan Watch 4/10/2001:

The Amorphophallus titanum inflorescence reached 68 inches Wednesday
morning, 5 more than Tuesday. By 8 PM it had only reached 69".

This Thursday morning it had reached only 70". I was a little disappointed.
I was hoping it would pass 6 foot this morning.

The top edge of the spathe is beginning to loosen and the reddish color is
intensifying. Just like 1998 I'm getting jumpy. I worry that it will bloom
before my time estimate. I down loaded all my notes from 1998's blooming for
a bit of research. When I compared the development of both blooms it calmed
me down a bit.

..of course, now I can panic that my May 14-16 estimate might be premature.
I think the anticipation is getting to me.

A. bulbifer: a 3rd inflorescence is blooming. Instead of the sweet smell of
the fully open flower I was surprised yesterday by a vile odor evident 100
feet away. Today it has that light cantaloupe odor.

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road
Coral Gables(Miami), Florida, USA  33156-4296
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320
Fax 305-661-8953
e-mail callen@fairchildgarden.org
web: www.fairchildgarden.org