Re: Tropical forest dreams and nightmares

  • Subject: Re: Tropical forest dreams and nightmares
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 13:46:08 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Neil,

   Just a few commentaries...

>OK Eduardo, so we have your extremely negative 'nightmare' and you
>ellucidate all of the negatives. You even seem to have something against
>human beings. Are we talking about people who need a place to live, food to
>eat, and shelter over their heads....or just a bunch of plants as being
>important. Yes, I know....no plants= no animals....but there is probably
>enough plankton, seaweed and algae in the world to provide food and air for

    Well, I have to confess that I am not so fond of humans, but I need them
(mainly from endochrinological reasons)! I was just trying to say that
native people in South America is more than smiling field guides! Maybe my
poor Tarzan-like English wasn´t enough for an efficient communication...

>So do you have any solutions or just a lot of griping. Really, let's hear
>what you would have us all do about the rainforests of the world.

What about voluntary auto-extinction? Just kidding...

>RON, there are many ways to obtain plants from around the world including
>the New World. Obtaining plants in spite of the obstacles is the fun part
>plant collecting.
>We really don't speak much on this topic with this list because Aroids, for
>the most part are not listed as endangered and are therefore not covered by
>CITES. If you were an orchid, cactus or cycad officianado this "what to do
>about the rainforest" discussion would be much more in the forefront of

   Neil... Right now, in Brazil, ALL PLANTS (including weeds like Xanthosoma
pentaphyllum or even naturalized species like Colocasia esculenta and
Alocasia macrorrhizos) needs special permits to be sent out legally. CITES
is obsolete around here. In fact, until a second authorization from the
government, NO MATERIAL from the biodiversity can be sent out, including
dryied specimens. All authorizations are temporarly blocked.  You can put
them in an envelope and nobody cares if nobody knows, but it is not a legal
act. I have heard that Colombia is in the same way. How long the
Bio-paranoia virus will take until contaminate all of the tropical