Re: Tropical forest dreams and nightmares

  • Subject: Re: Tropical forest dreams and nightmares
  • From: StellrJ@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 17:50:16 -0500 (CDT)

In a message dated Tue, 1 May 2001  4:34:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Ron Iles" <roniles@eircom.net> writes:

<< "What will happen to
the Spirit of Man
when all the Great Beasts have gone".   Indeed, the final answer is on the
horizin of our unfortunate children.

Indeed.  For me, the idea of any future at all for wilderness seems more and more a pipe dream.  No matter which way I look at it, I can see no way to justify ever bringing children into a world such as this; much as I love children, I think it best that I never have any.

<<Sadly for many or even most Nature is only good when things are SAFE and PRETTY.

Don't I know it!  In this lawyer-infested country (USA), it seems people have made Safety the ultimate aspiration -- never mind that they are quashing the human spirit in the process.

<<2. Do you have experience to guide, lead, or share leadership or contribute
skills e.g. languages, filming, sound recording, first aid, cooking etc.?

I can get by in Spanish, have training in Wildreness First Aid, and understand navigation by map and compass.

<<3. WHO would like to be part of a team sensitive to each other?
4. WOULD four weeks be optimum?

I would love to join up, but am too poor to contribute much to the funding.  Four weeks would be plenty, PROVIDED all necessary arrangements were made in advance.

<<5. Should we explore and collect for team members or also for others who
can't come but need our efforts on their behalf?

Give us a list, we'll do what we can.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large