Re: News from the Jungle

  • Subject: Re: News from the Jungle
  • From: Lewandjim@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:51:28 -0500 (CDT)

In a message dated 05/11/2001 2:44:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
edggon@hotmail.com writes:

<<  Ron... In some places (including Brazil), sending living plants without
 the almost-impossible-to-have permits is now considered a crime, and people
 can be arrested for it. After March this year things have become dangerous
 around here. I has heard that things are now the same in Colombia. As an
 active plant collector (I also have a compreensive collection of some
 genera) I am not happy with this. I only want to make you know that the
 danger sometimes is not in the jungle... It is at the luggage inspection at
 the airports! Keep you eyes opened!!! >>

Dear Eduardo, Ron, et al.,

This list is an international assemblage but I wanted to add to what Eduardo
said above for the benefit of US citizens. Under a very broad-based Lacey Act
if you collect plants illegally in a foreign jurisdiction and return with
them, you have committed a criminal act in the US as well. The penalties are
fearsome both economically and in jail time.

You are at risk of apprehension at both the departure and arrival airport!

    Jim Langhammer