Re: SAFE HOMES FOR TROPICAL SHADE PLANTS

  • Subject: Re: SAFE HOMES FOR TROPICAL SHADE PLANTS
  • From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 09:57:39 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Ron:

Ron Isles wrote from Erin at 05/05/01:

>| Hi Rand!
>|
>| Are you THE major tissue culture fellah?  If you are, you got over 21 US
>| cultivars I need to buy?  Say "Yes"..........PLEASE!

Sorry, I am not.

>| Small, and 25 years old?  Rather old, that's an understatement surely?
>25
>| years...one plant becomes thousands and thousands usually.   Is yours
>| plastic and you didn't realise?

It is just well groomed and well behaved.

>| Yellowing?  I can only guess wildly.   Is it pot bound and needing root
>| systems divided?

Done regularly.

>  Spaths should NEVER have direct sunlight.  South West window, my God!

This must be the cause of the leaf yellowing. It is an otherwise
healthy plant and well cared for.

>  Perhaps he'll email Ron and tell him my name but
>| maybe he doesn't know that?

This most likely is Spathiphyllum "Wallisii" which was being sold in
supermarkets as "White Sails" and some nurseries as a "Peace Lily" at
the time. I got this one in a 2" pot at a supermarket (checked the
name later at a nursery) even though it was sick, browning and
covered with spider mites. It had one small, cinnamony, glistening
white spathe on it and I figured that, for 25 cents (CDN), it was
worth a rescue. I knew nothing about Spathiphyllum or aroids at the
time.

>    I do hope he splits me up so there'll be a
>lot
>| of children

The children have gone far and wide.

>  and I hope one of 'em will go to Ireland

You most likely have this. It is very common commercially.

>  TWENTY FIVE YEARS in prison and I'm innocent!

More like part of the family. He is well fed and fat and a bit of a show-off.

>| you have CERES or "Mini" or ANY other "common commercial" Spaths in your
>| local supermarkets or plant emporia?  They are as rare as hens teeth over
>| here.

I am not sure, but I will have a look next time they stock them. They
are presented in a rather arbitrary fashion over here. One week it is
all Mums and the next it could be cactus. I suspect it is a
suppliers' thing.

************************
************************

Ron Isles did scribe _again_ from Erin at 05/05/01:

Hi Again "Unkl" Ron:

>Sorry it was Rand not Randy!

This is correct; my name is _Rand_ short for "Randolph". Whether I
am, or am not randy (a peculiar bit of British slang), is a personal
matter best left to the imagination. Be assured, however, that
Spathiphyllum do not make me randy. Although, they do give me a warm
glow.

>   AND I'd go pale in fright and not want to
>flower and fumigate you if you put me in South West sun in May even if it
>was shaded a bit!    Huh!  Telling Unkl Ron about how you treat me!

The plant is now moved to a more comfortable, shadier spot, but still
displayed prominently where all can view it's tidy foliage and smell
the sweet cinnamon fragrance produced by it's charming white spathes.
I promise to never subject my "White Sails/Peace Lily" to an
overabundance of sun again (or, indeed, to any sun, lest I risk ire
from Ireland).

>  From
>now on I'll stop smelling like pineapple and pretend I'm a corpse flower
>plant.

I had two Amorphophallus konjac blooming (remember) in the same room
as the Spath. All are welcome (if not appreciated by some of my
aroidically challenged friends).

>   Twenty five years!  Am I not the World Pot Record?

It outgrows the pot, very slowly, and I cut it back, repot, and pot up the
cuttings for instant plants. The old stems kick into gear, rather
quickly producing new offshoots and the cycle repeats. A most
obliging Spath, it never misses a beat through repotting and all this
fussing, and the cuttings rarely even toss a leaf, but just start up
and grow.

Thanks for the info.

Kind Regards,

Rand - OOPSS!
(Organization Opposing and Preventing Sunburned Spathiphyllum)