Re: Tropical forest dreams and nightmares

  • Subject: Re: Tropical forest dreams and nightmares
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein <ecuador@midsouth.rr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 15:13:18 -0500 (CDT)

Reggie, I don't think you could have said it better. Let it die, but don't you dare collect it and try to save it. This is true the world over. Then there is the new World Bank idea, don't you dare ship anything out, it is your cultural heritage. Countries like Colombia, are now restricted to no exportation because someone says what is there is only yours. How short sided when they are destroying it all and it won't be theirs or anyones in the future. I often wonder if those who promulgate ideas have ever looked into what is or is it all hot air to make it look good? I don't know, but don't let anyone tell you that it is wrong to save a plant anyless than it is right to save an animal or a person!

At some point, we will have to come to accept we are all on this Earth together and we will all survive together or fall separate.... Always choices.....

Just had to add my two cents,
Betsy

Regferns@aol.com wrote:

I have tried to stay out of this discussion, because I all too well know
what's happening in some of these countries.  But, Julius' telling comments:
"Cut and burn it all down, but don't you DARE collect any of these doomed
plants/animals," says it all.

How very, very true. I have seen tree ferns (CITES 1) being sprayed with
herbicides or hacked down (and discarded)  in some countries.  I have also
seen whole forests destroyed in Indonesia; and orchids and other high
epiphytes are doomed--they lay  baking in the scorching sun.  But, is anyone
allowed to "rescue" these plants?  A resounding "NO."

Just my two cents.

Reggie Whitehead
South Miami, FL