Re: Tropical forest dreams and nightmares

  • Subject: Re: Tropical forest dreams and nightmares
  • From: Regferns@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:10:18 -0500 (CDT)

I have tried to stay out of this discussion, because I all too well know
what's happening in some of these countries.  But, Julius' telling comments:
"Cut and burn it all down, but don't you DARE collect any of these doomed
plants/animals," says it all.

How very, very true. I have seen tree ferns (CITES 1) being sprayed with
herbicides or hacked down (and discarded)  in some countries.  I have also
seen whole forests destroyed in Indonesia; and orchids and other high
epiphytes are doomed--they lay  baking in the scorching sun.  But, is anyone
allowed to "rescue" these plants?  A resounding "NO."

Just my two cents.

Reggie Whitehead
South Miami, FL