Re: Tropical forest dreams and nightmares

  • Subject: Re: Tropical forest dreams and nightmares
  • From: "Craig Allen" <callen@fairchildgarden.org>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 22:41:29 -0500 (CDT)

I work at a botanical garden and I am not under the false impression that
any botanical garden anywhere ever housed enough of a species that it could
be considered saved. With out some genetic diversity within a species it is
doomed. That can only really happen in a natural habitat. Even the species
our Garden works on saving are meant to be returned to the wild. Saving a
habitat is the real hope.

Craig Allen
Fairchild Tropical Garden