Re: Stink Alert!

  • Subject: Re: Stink Alert!
  • From: Al Wootten <awootten@NRAO.EDU>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 23:44:22 -0500 (CDT)

Paul Tyerman writes:
 > Howdy All,
 > Sorry to ask yet another question.........
 > How old is Mr Stinky?  How old does an Amorphophallus titanum have to be to
 > flower?  For that matter, how old do the other species need to be to flower
 > (I'm talking from seed to flowering here)?  I realise that A. bulbifer
 > grows bulbils which are easier than seed.... but how many years does it
 > take the bulbils to reach maturity?  I realised looking at all those
 > different ones at the Fairchild site that I have absolutely no idea at all.
Actually, I found A. bulbifer about the same from seed as from bulbils
but perhaps others have larger bulbils than mine.  And I still await my
first flower (I did see one at MOBOT a few years ago).
A. konjac is now leafing out.  Alas, my D. vulgaris had collapsed when I
returned from my trip.  I hope it isn't at the Pearly Gates.  And although
I couldn't stay on my return flight (the plane kept on to Miami) and see
the A. titanum there, my summer research student from last year sent
me some pix from U. Washington, which I share at
as I cannot recall my password for my usual www site.

I wonder whatever happened to the one at Brooklyn which bloomed in the 30s?

Clear skies,
|Al Wootten, Slacktide, Sturgeon Creek at the Rappahannock|
|Astronomer (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)           |
|genealogy homepage  http://members.tripod.com/~astral    |
|Deltaville, Virginia              (804)776-6369          |